It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:52 am Advanced search

QTAKE Live Streaming to iPad

Any news regarding the use of QTAKE

Re: QTAKE Live Streaming to iPad

Postby steves70119 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 4:59 pm

I'm gonna plead ignorance here. I'm wondering why you need both a wired router and a wifi AP. If I just buy a Airport Extreme for instance, why cant I wire it directly to the MBPro and work Stream/Monitor using that? I guess I need a setup guide to understand. Any insight is appreciated.

Steve S.
steves70119

Postby admin » Sat Apr 04, 2015 2:14 pm

You can of course use single WiFi router (like Asus AC68U), but some users are using UniFi access points that have longer range. Those access points don't have DHCP server, so they need to be connected to router.

IN2CORE
admin
Site Admin

Postby bbvcbob » Mon Apr 06, 2015 2:21 pm

steves70119 wrote:I'm gonna plead ignorance here. I'm wondering why you need both a wired router and a wifi AP. If I just buy a Airport Extreme for instance, why cant I wire it directly to the MBPro and work Stream/Monitor using that? I guess I need a setup guide to understand. Any insight is appreciated.

Steve S.

The Asus AC68U wireless routers and the like are, in effect, three devices in one: A network switch (the one-in-four-out ethernet distribution bit), a DCHP capable router and a WiFi access point. I'm using a Ubiquiti Outdoor AC AP high powered WiFi access point which requires a separate DCHP router. Two advantages to using the Ubiquiti device over, say, the Asus are the extra power and the professional build quality and mounting system. The Asus type devices are designed for home and small office work - the Ubiquiti for covering large open spaces in factories, educational establishments etc. The price difference reflects this but the extra cost is definitely worth it.

You could buy the Airport Extreme and use it as described - but it wouldn't work very well as it doesn't have the power to cover a whole stage especially if there's a lot of other WiFi about and the set has a lot of scaffolding and chicken wire in it.
bbvcbob

Postby steves70119 » Mon Apr 06, 2015 3:55 pm

Thanks Bob and admin
steves70119

Postby Westwing » Thu Dec 17, 2015 2:21 pm

Does anyone have a router AP setup they can suggest that is quick and easy?
Westwing

Postby Filmhawk » Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:27 pm

Hi there, I'm just wondering if anybody has any updates as to what might be a good all in one router for using Qtake Stream on ?

I'm a fairly new Qtake operator and have a job coming up where we might be using this for the first time. Been having a look at the ASUS RT-AC5300 which seems to be the most powerful router available right now

Thanks in advance for any help
Filmhawk

Postby bbvcbob » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:49 am

The ASUS RT-AC5300 looks very good and has a better spec than it's predecessors but it is still only designed as a Home/Small office device. Having tried several of these over the last couple of years, with varying levels of success, I have moved on to a much more robust, Enterprise level, solution. I am using Ubiquiti's Unifi AC-Mesh-Pro Access Points with their Edgeswitch 8 port PoE switch and EdgeRouter Lite. This system has a much better coverage area, and the Access Points are waterproof and pole-mountable. The initial configuration is a little more complex than for the standalone domestic router/AP's but well worth the effort.
bbvcbob

Postby admin » Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:13 am

admin
Site Admin

Previous

Return to News