It is currently Sun Apr 30, 2017 3:08 am Advanced search

Field testing of HDx2 Aja IO XT Based station.

Share your custom cart photos

Field testing of HDx2 Aja IO XT Based station.

Postby Witch » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:06 pm

It was cold project:-). Here is a test configuration, test almost everything - from size of case to power solution. So here is nothing to proud of at the moment - just describing a process.
The reason why i choose so big case - i'm afraid to overheat equipment, since summer can easily reach 45 celsius, an even more - at summer may be i'll put some white material over whole case to avoid more overheating. Second reason of case dimensions - my wishes to put two things - 2 monitors in the top cover (TVlogic 5'6"), and to put MC AVID TRANSPORT right to the computer. So he "sizeforming" subject here - is a panel where MBP and MC transport will be fasten. Next step i'm going to made more solid metal cover for main compartment, and lower MBP and MC transport in it, like it was done in the www.ditstation.com product. It will help me to have more space in the top cover. I'll also try to put indicator panel from power supply, some audio monitoring solution, and even a few sockets of mains in the top cover.
In total - i'll have an ability to run 2 cam rig and 2 17" monitors near it from 12Volts from a battery.
Main idea - to leave whole case without any whole - in this case whole connectors area, ventilation holes i'm going to have in the metal cover of main compartment. May be i'll need to add some fans over power supply since it is hottest part of equipment.
And finally - i have a lot of inside space - i can put a lot of equipment to make my system as mach universal as i can.
Attachments
q3.jpg
q2.jpg
q1.jpg
Valentyn Gryb
www.Playback.in.ua
Witch

Re: Field testing of HDx2 Aja IO XT Based station.

Postby Witch » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:24 pm

inside a case
q4.jpg
Valentyn Gryb
www.Playback.in.ua
Witch

Postby Witch » Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:22 pm

What i'm going to add:

Definitely:
BMD Smart View Duo
BDM Mini hub+BMD dedicated control panel (to hide main unit in the case and leave control panel to live in top cover)
Softronic GPI Commander
MC avid transport control surface (already own)
Firewire HUB
USB HUB
Panel mounts for gooseneck lights to work in dark locations (may be not gooseneck but led stripe)

MAY BE
Decimator(s) downconverters
Inputs reclockers (in case if BMD Hub doesn't have any equalisation/reclocking on it)
TB raid drive (to use this station like backup machine since it have free (now:) express card slot).
Some audio boxes for local speakers sound/level monitoring control.
MD-QUAD and another necessary muxer/demuxer devices in case i'll have request for multicam (3-8 cams) shooting.
To be continued... :-)
Valentyn Gryb
www.Playback.in.ua
Witch

Postby Nickyboy » Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:49 am

Looks like you could do with a heater as well! Brrr.
Nicholas Williams
SydneyAustralia
nicholaswilliams@me.com
Nickyboy

Postby Witch » Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:08 pm

:-). -28-33 was maximum this year.

If talk serious - it may be good idea, but it have some limitations also.
1. It have to be manual controlled, otherwise it wil be really difficult to make it. Manual control require indicators/knobs.
2. Power consumption - don't think it will be low. So it cannot be powered from battery.

Does anybody know any sources of ready made heating system? Actually, so cold temperatures are not so often, Normally we have 0C -10C. But sometimes shit happens.
BTW. After nightmare of first day - second was almost perfect, only first boot had some problem. Third one - was completely ok. And my friend from local Apple Certified Service Center told me that he has friends, making car pcs, and they told him that they have tested all available ssd on the market in Ukriane - and EVERY ssd had problem with low temperatures (about -10-15) with one symptom - very slow boot and very slow operating speed at least from cold start.
From other side - first day we had to heat it up by infrared heater, next day we had slowdown only on the first run, and 3rd day we had rock solid operation of whole system. So, will continue to test in cold (by forecast we'll loose so cold temperatures soon, so i'll try to test it as soon as possible), especially paying attention that this night will be most coldest night for decades:-).
Valentyn Gryb
www.Playback.in.ua
Witch

Postby balazs » Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:15 am

for BMD hub - I had one with buttons and replaced it with a buttonless version. I realized I never touch the buttons, only used the Qtake interface.
I would not spend the money on Smart Controlé. Yes it looks great, but you can do better for only show things.
AFAIK BMD reclocks well. I never had a problem but I only used these on Alexas. On the IBC I asked an egineer and he told me the hub has reclocker. Also asked Aja and they said they put the same reclockers in their hub than in their HD10DA.
balazs

Postby Witch » Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:07 pm

Thank you, Balazs, for you opinion. Actually i prefer to have as much universal system as i can. It is no question to save 500 USD buying switcher for 2000. And some time i have system with qtake busy - and prefer to save an ability to manipulate BMD HUB without system.

And about HUB at all. I'm trying ti invent some universal system for years, and cannot find any solution to have system which fill my requirements. Since i'm woking mostly on commercials - each day i need some different scheme - mixers/keyers, transmitters/receivers and etc. Everytime i need to manipulate with cables, and often it is annoying enough. I HOPE i'll BMD hub will help me a lot at least in the commutation field. That's why BMD HUB still my best wishes after Qtake:-). Next wish - to have everything wireless:-).
Valentyn Gryb
www.Playback.in.ua
Witch

Postby Witch » Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:13 pm

BTW, does anybody have any experience with BMD hub inside battery powered cart? Any issues? Power ratio?
Valentyn Gryb
www.Playback.in.ua
Witch

Postby karlisjaunzems » Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:10 pm

Witch wrote:inside a case
q4.jpg

what do you use to charge your laptop from 14.4v battery? Just a simple 19V stepup? I've been trying to research if macbook is actually charged with motherboard or with the charger block the computer comes with and can't seem to find any answer. I know HawkWoods makes a simple 4pinXLR cable to MagSafe2 but the charging process itself is the one which bugs me since we need to make sure the laptop runs on 100% instead of just 50-60 like it is when charger is not delivering enough power.
karlisjaunzems

Return to Carts